Our Fall 2013 Mugs on the Mall was a huge success! Thank you to everyone who came out and volunteered and promoted the event! We have plans for Spring 2014 Mugs on the Mall to be bigger and better than ever with a possible reusable coffee mug sale…stay tuned!
Halloween is fast approaching and we have a number of events coming up for REthinkers to get involved in!
Halloween in Madison is the best place to be!
First, Slow Foods is having a whole week of activities starting with a larger than usual Slow Foods dinner on October 21st at the Crossing (1127 University Ave). It’s $5 and then its all you can eat, really good food!, and a discussion panel. Tuesday the 22nd they’re showing a documentary about local food movements at Union South at 7:00pm. Wednesday October 23rd Slow Foods is having their weekly lunch at the Crossing. They’re looking for volunteers- who usually get free food. October 24th Slow Foods is petitioning to try to get Real Foods in the UW dining halls. Stop by Gordon Commons, Great Lakes Market, and Bascom Hill to sign the petition between 12 and 7pm. Finally on Friday October 25th, they’ll be celebrating the end of the harvest season at F.H. Student Farm at the Eagle Heights Community Gardens.
IMPORTANT: Instead of a regular meeting we will be going to an event about fracking in Wisconsin. This event is being hosted by Clean Wisconsin at the Fluno Center on the 8th floor in the Skyview Room from 5-7:00. There’ll be free food and a great speaker! We’ll meet afterward in the lobby to debrief and talk about next week. Please RSVP via “attending” on the Facebook event. Please contact Brady at email@example.com if you have any questions.
It’s that time of year again everyone- our semester Bake Sale! It will be Thursday the 31st- thats right HALLOWEEN from 10pm-2am. We will need people to bake and work at the table. Please sign up on our doodle poll, also if you dont plan on volunteering please sign the doodle by listing what you plan to bring.
Let’s start with a Nugget of Greenness from our meeting: “Wrap your gifts in fabric or old newspaper instead of buying wrapping paper,” you’re saving trees! We know that midterms can be stressful, but by taking a break with REthink you can help your campus and get away from the books.
In other news, this summer REthink signed a petition with the group “Texas Environment” in an attempt to put pressure on the battery company Reyovac. This petition is trying to get them to implement a battery recycling program. Texas Environment wants REthink to stage a protest to help make the community aware of Reyovac’s lack of sustainable practices. We have yet to respond to the Texas Environment representative. Input? Thoughts? We are going to ask for more information before a decision is made. Good luck on your tests and projects everyone!
Dream Farm Barn and silos.
We hope that everyone had a terrific spring break where ever you were and that your Monday being back has been great. Remember that were are still working hard on our Bottle Free Badgers campaign and that this April we have many events to look forward to (including the snow melting), Mugs on the Mall, Campus Clean Up, Farm Mobs, and many more.
- We do have a Farm Mob this weekend, 4/6 from 11AM until 4PM at Dream Farm. If you’re interested in joining us click here to sign up.
- Our weekly meetings continue this week, Wednesday at 7:00 in Room 15 of Science Hall. Jack Kloppenburg will be speaking with us. This is very exciting because he is our staff supervisor and has lots of information about how REthink got started. See you then!
Yes! Its finally Thanksgiving! It seems like its been a very busy but also very productive semester for most of you REthinkers and we are all very proud of all the time you’ve put in and the work that you’ve done. Before we leave for break there are few events that you can get involved in:
- Camp Randall Recycling: ITS THE LAST FOOTBALL GAME! We play Ohio State who are not only our rivals in football but also in recycling. The game Saturday, November 17th at 2:30. Reach that honored member status before heading home by signing up here.
While you are home be sure to remember:
- Just Coffee Fundraiser: Every year we sell coffee, tea, and hot chocolate from Just Coffee a local coffee roaster. (This is the same place we get our coffee for Mugs on the Mall). Be sure to talk to friends and family over break to see if they would like any packages. Please remember to collect money because we do need that up front.
- YaYa: What a great project for the holiday time! We are collecting running and exercise equipment for women to send to Ethiopia. Look around your house and also be sure to ask your friends and family at home if they have anything they can donate. We will be collected until our meeting on December 5th.
When we get back from break:
- Slow Food is collaborating with Chipotle to show the documentary “American Meat” at the Marquee at Union South. This event is November 28th at 7 pm, right after our weekly meeting.
- Bill McKibben is coming to Madison on his “Do the Math” tour for the 350 project. Get your ticket by signing up here, you should receive a confirmation ticket after your ticket is secured.
- The Energy Hub Conference will be held on November 30th for 8:30 am until 3:30 pm at the Wisconsin Institute of Discovery (WID). The theme is “Fossil Fuel Usage”. Anyone who is doing research that relates to this theme is invited to apply for the chance to present their topic at the conference. All research participants receive $100 and the winner of the presentation receives an additional $100! This is a great place to meet new people and network for future work.