Hey Badgers! REthink’s Make Music Madison drum circles are happening tomorrow, June 21st, on the Summer Solstice! The first drum circle will be occurring at the Capitol on Hamilton at 10 am. The second drum circle event will be happening at the Elmore Goodman Community Center. Any REthinkers are encouraged to come to the events and help pass out instruments or just come drum along. REthinkers volunteering to help hand out instruments at the drum circles should meet Elise at 9:30am in front of the DG house on Langdon. Get ready to rock, Madison!
As finals come to an end, so does another year as an amazing, successful student organization!
Shoutout to all of our graduating seniors for helping us throughout the years, you will truly be missed! But as we say goodbye to our seniors we also have the honor of welcoming our younger REthinkers into new leadership positions!
Congratulations to our REthink leaders for the 2014-2015 school year!
Co-Chairs: Eva Baldinger and Elise Wirkus
Vice Chairs: Austin Yantes and Aaron Conradt
Secretary: Anna Meding
Treasurer: Andrea Perkins
Communications: Clare Schober
Athletics: Aida Ebrahimi
Teaching Waste Management: Abby Lois
Bottle Free Badgers: Jay Skinner
The Farm Mob leadership position is still open to anyone interested!
We’re excited to see you all next fall at our meetings. Spread the word to your friends this summer about how amazing we are, and get them to join too!
Have a very green summer!
But what’s a better way to celebrate the new warm weather and get some study snacks than to come to the Rethink bake sale?? We will be outside College Library this Saturday May, 10th from 2:00-5:00pm to provide you with all your much needed baked goods. REthinkers can volunteer to bring or sell baked goods on this sign up.
With the end of second semester also comes the mania of UW Housing Move-Out! Volunteer to help UW residence halls divert waste from landfills as our fellow Badger move out by signing up to work at one of the 10 locations for as many two hour shifts as you’d like. And DON’T FORGET to look for cool items that we can use to make instruments for our One Solstice project while helping people recycle their things!
Speaking of One Solstice… Contact Andrea at 847-730-9215 if you’d like to help with our One Solstice musical project that will be happening on this summer’s solstice.
Don’t forget to stay connected with your fellow REthinkers over summer break, even if you won’t be staying in Madison.
Get all your friends and their mothers to:
Like the REthink Facebook page.
Like the Greeks Go Green Facebook page.
Like the Bottle Free Badgers Facebook page.
Also: Check out the new REthink (rethink_wisconsin) instragram account for some fun updates, green tips, and beautiful pictures all summer long!
Thank you all for a wonderful year. Have a long, relaxing, green summer!
BIG shoutout to We Conserve for bringing the smoothie making bikes to the End of Earth Week Celebration! They were delicious! We had a great turn out, even the sun came out.
- Tomorrow! Thursday, May 1st: We will be meeting with the One Solstice event coordinator at Fair Trade Coffee on State Street at 6pm to discuss our summer event with the Worldwide Music Organization! Contact Andrea if you have any questions (847-730-9215).
- Saturday, May 10th: We’ll be having our REthink bake sale outside College Library from 2-5pm. Get some delicious baked goods to help power through finals! We’ll need volunteers for this event to bake and work the table. Sign up to donate a baked good or volunteer.
- Sunday, May 11th: FARM MOB. Take a break from studying hard and volunteer to help out at Sprouting Acres Farm from 11am-4pm. Sign up under the “Sign me up” tab to volunteer.
- Monday, May12th-Monday, May 19th: UW Housing Move-Out: Help us team up with University Housing to divert waste from landfills and keep moving out sustainable! Last years volunteers diverted 95,000 pounds of material from landfills, and we’re looking for your help this year! Sign up to help out at any of the 9 locations.
Stay tuned for more volunteer opportunities during finals week and over the summer including socials at the Terrace and One Solstice- more information follow.
Have a wonderfully green week!
Our Fall 2013 Mugs on the Mall was a huge success! Thank you to everyone who came out and volunteered and promoted the event! We have plans for Spring 2014 Mugs on the Mall to be bigger and better than ever with a possible reusable coffee mug sale…stay tuned!
Halloween is fast approaching and we have a number of events coming up for REthinkers to get involved in!
First, Slow Foods is having a whole week of activities starting with a larger than usual Slow Foods dinner on October 21st at the Crossing (1127 University Ave). It’s $5 and then its all you can eat, really good food!, and a discussion panel. Tuesday the 22nd they’re showing a documentary about local food movements at Union South at 7:00pm. Wednesday October 23rd Slow Foods is having their weekly lunch at the Crossing. They’re looking for volunteers- who usually get free food. October 24th Slow Foods is petitioning to try to get Real Foods in the UW dining halls. Stop by Gordon Commons, Great Lakes Market, and Bascom Hill to sign the petition between 12 and 7pm. Finally on Friday October 25th, they’ll be celebrating the end of the harvest season at F.H. Student Farm at the Eagle Heights Community Gardens.
IMPORTANT: Instead of a regular meeting we will be going to an event about fracking in Wisconsin. This event is being hosted by Clean Wisconsin at the Fluno Center on the 8th floor in the Skyview Room from 5-7:00. There’ll be free food and a great speaker! We’ll meet afterward in the lobby to debrief and talk about next week. Please RSVP via “attending” on the Facebook event. Please contact Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
It’s that time of year again everyone- our semester Bake Sale! It will be Thursday the 31st- thats right HALLOWEEN from 10pm-2am. We will need people to bake and work at the table. Please sign up on our doodle poll, also if you dont plan on volunteering please sign the doodle by listing what you plan to bring.
Let’s start with a Nugget of Greenness from our meeting: “Wrap your gifts in fabric or old newspaper instead of buying wrapping paper,” you’re saving trees! We know that midterms can be stressful, but by taking a break with REthink you can help your campus and get away from the books.
- October 6th: Farm Mob at Sprouting Acre. We’re meeting at the parking lot on the corner of University and Charter (outside the Psych Building and Service Building) at 11am and we’ll be back by 4.
October 16th: Everyone’s favorite, Mugs on the Mall. We will be giving away free coffee to anyone using a reusable mug. This will take place from 7:30 until 11am in Library Mall. Tell your friends and please sign up to volunteer.
- October 23rd: We’re hosting our ever famous “Not-Luck”. Please bring a dish to share with the group and we’ll possibly be having a guest speaker to talk about climate change, stay tuned for more details.
- October 25th: Trash Audit at the nursing school. This is a great way to learn about recycling and gain honors towards honored member status! Look for a doodle in the coming weeks to sign up.
- October 31st: Halloween Bake Sale! This is one of our most popular events. We are looking for people to make and/or volunteer. We’ll have a table set up on State Street and as you can imagine this event gets pretty entertaining. We’ll be selling from 10pm-2am or when we run out of backed goods. Please dress up like a recycled good- get creative!
In other news, this summer REthink signed a petition with the group “Texas Environment” in an attempt to put pressure on the battery company Reyovac. This petition is trying to get them to implement a battery recycling program. Texas Environment wants REthink to stage a protest to help make the community aware of Reyovac’s lack of sustainable practices. We have yet to respond to the Texas Environment representative. Input? Thoughts? We are going to ask for more information before a decision is made. Good luck on your tests and projects everyone!
We hope that everyone had a terrific spring break where ever you were and that your Monday being back has been great. Remember that were are still working hard on our Bottle Free Badgers campaign and that this April we have many events to look forward to (including the snow melting), Mugs on the Mall, Campus Clean Up, Farm Mobs, and many more.
- We do have a Farm Mob this weekend, 4/6 from 11AM until 4PM at Dream Farm. If you’re interested in joining us click here to sign up.
- Our weekly meetings continue this week, Wednesday at 7:00 in Room 15 of Science Hall. Jack Kloppenburg will be speaking with us. This is very exciting because he is our staff supervisor and has lots of information about how REthink got started. See you then!