Hey Badgers! REthink’s Make Music Madison drum circles are happening tomorrow, June 21st, on the Summer Solstice! The first drum circle will be occurring at the Capitol on Hamilton at 10 am. The second drum circle event will be happening at the Elmore Goodman Community Center. Any REthinkers are encouraged to come to the events and help pass out instruments or just come drum along. REthinkers volunteering to help hand out instruments at the drum circles should meet Elise at 9:30am in front of the DG house on Langdon. Get ready to rock, Madison!
As finals come to an end, so does another year as an amazing, successful student organization!
Shoutout to all of our graduating seniors for helping us throughout the years, you will truly be missed! But as we say goodbye to our seniors we also have the honor of welcoming our younger REthinkers into new leadership positions!
Congratulations to our REthink leaders for the 2014-2015 school year!
Co-Chairs: Eva Baldinger and Elise Wirkus
Vice Chairs: Austin Yantes and Aaron Conradt
Secretary: Anna Meding
Treasurer: Andrea Perkins
Communications: Clare Schober
Athletics: Aida Ebrahimi
Teaching Waste Management: Abby Lois
Bottle Free Badgers: Jay Skinner
The Farm Mob leadership position is still open to anyone interested!
We’re excited to see you all next fall at our meetings. Spread the word to your friends this summer about how amazing we are, and get them to join too!
Have a very green summer!
But what’s a better way to celebrate the new warm weather and get some study snacks than to come to the Rethink bake sale?? We will be outside College Library this Saturday May, 10th from 2:00-5:00pm to provide you with all your much needed baked goods. REthinkers can volunteer to bring or sell baked goods on this sign up.
With the end of second semester also comes the mania of UW Housing Move-Out! Volunteer to help UW residence halls divert waste from landfills as our fellow Badger move out by signing up to work at one of the 10 locations for as many two hour shifts as you’d like. And DON’T FORGET to look for cool items that we can use to make instruments for our One Solstice project while helping people recycle their things!
Speaking of One Solstice… Contact Andrea at 847-730-9215 if you’d like to help with our One Solstice musical project that will be happening on this summer’s solstice.
Don’t forget to stay connected with your fellow REthinkers over summer break, even if you won’t be staying in Madison.
Get all your friends and their mothers to:
Like the REthink Facebook page.
Like the Greeks Go Green Facebook page.
Like the Bottle Free Badgers Facebook page.
Also: Check out the new REthink (rethink_wisconsin) instragram account for some fun updates, green tips, and beautiful pictures all summer long!
Thank you all for a wonderful year. Have a long, relaxing, green summer!
BIG shoutout to We Conserve for bringing the smoothie making bikes to the End of Earth Week Celebration! They were delicious! We had a great turn out, even the sun came out.
- Tomorrow! Thursday, May 1st: We will be meeting with the One Solstice event coordinator at Fair Trade Coffee on State Street at 6pm to discuss our summer event with the Worldwide Music Organization! Contact Andrea if you have any questions (847-730-9215).
- Saturday, May 10th: We’ll be having our REthink bake sale outside College Library from 2-5pm. Get some delicious baked goods to help power through finals! We’ll need volunteers for this event to bake and work the table. Sign up to donate a baked good or volunteer.
- Sunday, May 11th: FARM MOB. Take a break from studying hard and volunteer to help out at Sprouting Acres Farm from 11am-4pm. Sign up under the “Sign me up” tab to volunteer.
- Monday, May12th-Monday, May 19th: UW Housing Move-Out: Help us team up with University Housing to divert waste from landfills and keep moving out sustainable! Last years volunteers diverted 95,000 pounds of material from landfills, and we’re looking for your help this year! Sign up to help out at any of the 9 locations.
Stay tuned for more volunteer opportunities during finals week and over the summer including socials at the Terrace and One Solstice- more information follow.
Have a wonderfully green week!
Boy has REthink been everywhere this week! We’ve had an incredibly successfully week of activities from Mugs on the Mall to raising $300! Below is a slideshow with a few pictures and recaps from this week:
The week isn’t over, there is still more time to get involve:
Friday April 25th: Also on Friday we are having a Trash Pick up with WE Conserve and Eagle Heights students. This starts at 1:00, transportation is provided by WE Conserve. Email Elise if you’re interested: email@example.com
Saturday April 26th: Crazy Legs Run is this Saturday and we need volunteers from 10:30am to 1pm to help recycle. If you have any questions email Frank Kooistra at firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday April 26th: Also on Saturday is Isthmus Green Day! It’s from 9am until 6pm at the Monona Terrace. There will be green organizations, speakers, activities and lots of other fun events. Andrea is going (here’s her cell if you want to join her, 847-730-9215).
Wednesday April 30th: Waste-Free Wednesday at Lapham Elementary School. We’ll be there from 10:30 -12:30 to help and teach the students about composting. If you’re interested contact Eva, email@example.com
Also coming up: Farm Mobbing (May 3rd), REthink Bake Sale (May 10th), Housing Move-out (May 12th-15th)
This Friday, tomorrow, March 28th at 8:00 in the morning, REthink will be building a display on Bascom Hill. We need lots of volunteers throughout the day to promote the campaign and have people sign the petition. Everyone who signs the petition will have a chance to win a free Bobble water bottle. (Shout to Bobble for the water bottles)
Coming up the rest of this semester:
- Help UW win a new solar-powered cross walk sign! Show your Badger pride and help prove how sustainable we are! You can VOTE once a day until March 31st.
- REthink is working the Student Retail Association on Wednesday April 9th from 4:30 to 5:30 for a trash pick up around campus. We will be meeting at Library Mall. Sign up to volunteer with your friends!
- Love working with children? We’re working with Lapham Elementary School who have started “Waste-Free Wednesday” which is a student led composting program. We need volunteers for 30-minute intervals from 10:30 until 12pm to make sure that proper materials are being composted, recycled and thrown out. We will be talking about this more at our next meeting.
- Greeks Go Green is having a very successful first semester. If you’re interested in getting involved email Elise and like the Facebook page.
- Bottle Free Badgers is giving away free Ohyo water bottles each week to anyone who uploads five campus water fountains to the new app- Find-A-Fountain (the app with the map of London in the picture). When you post five photos post them to the Bottle Free Badgers Facebook page so Aaron knows to get you a free water bottle.
- Farm Mobbing will return! Jenna is planning one for the end of April so if you’re interested let her know.
Shout Out to Tony Pastagnoli from the No KXL Group who came to talk to us last week about the Keystone XL Pipeline. For those that are unfamiliar with this the Keystone Pipeline is a purposed oil pipeline from Canada to Texas for the oil to be refined and sold abroad. Tony mentioned:
- Monday March 10th: Rally against the Keystone Pipeline at the Federal Court House in Madison. the No KXL Group is looking for some support so come out and support your views on this issue. Email Tony if you would like more information.
- Tomorrow, Tuesday February 25th is the Earth Week Collaboration. At 8:00pm in room 180 of Science Hall. All UW student organizations are collaborating for a fun Earth Week for students! This is a great opportunity to get involved!
- Thursday, February 27th is the Sustainability Forum. The event is from 8:30 until 5:00pm (you do not have to attend the whole event). Sign ups have closed (2/19) and the event will be at the WID in that round center lecture room on the first floor.
- Recyclemania: This is all month long and goes into March. There is an ongoing volunteer opportunity to find recyclables in the outdoor garbage bins around campus. You’ll receive a free shirt and volunteer hours towards Honored Member Status! Please continue (or start) collected waters bottles for Bottle Free Badgers- Aaron will pick them up on March 28th. Please contact Aaron if you have any questions (920-585-660).
Bottle Free Badgers is our campaign to eliminate single use plastic water bottles from being sold at the unions, dining halls and athletic facilities. This semester we will be creating a Bascom Hill display and working with Ohyo water bottle company to promote the use of water fountains on campus. If you are interested in helping out, first sign our petition, then checkout our Facebook page and stop by our weekly meetings. Thank you for your support!