This Friday, tomorrow, March 28th at 8:00 in the morning, REthink will be building a display on Bascom Hill. We need lots of volunteers throughout the day to promote the campaign and have people sign the petition. Everyone who signs the petition will have a chance to win a free Bobble water bottle. (Shout to Bobble for the water bottles)
This was last year, stop by Bascom Hill tomorrow to see what display we have in-store!
Coming up the rest of this semester:
- Help UW win a new solar-powered cross walk sign! Show your Badger pride and help prove how sustainable we are! You can VOTE once a day until March 31st.
- REthink is working the Student Retail Association on Wednesday April 9th from 4:30 to 5:30 for a trash pick up around campus. We will be meeting at Library Mall. Sign up to volunteer with your friends!
- Love working with children? We’re working with Lapham Elementary School who have started “Waste-Free Wednesday” which is a student led composting program. We need volunteers for 30-minute intervals from 10:30 until 12pm to make sure that proper materials are being composted, recycled and thrown out. We will be talking about this more at our next meeting.
- Greeks Go Green is having a very successful first semester. If you’re interested in getting involved email Elise and like the Facebook page.
- Bottle Free Badgers is giving away free Ohyo water bottles each week to anyone who uploads five campus water fountains to the new app- Find-A-Fountain (the app with the map of London in the picture). When you post five photos post them to the Bottle Free Badgers Facebook page so Aaron knows to get you a free water bottle.
- Farm Mobbing will return! Jenna is planning one for the end of April so if you’re interested let her know.
Shout Out to Tony Pastagnoli from the No KXL Group who came to talk to us last week about the Keystone XL Pipeline. For those that are unfamiliar with this the Keystone Pipeline is a purposed oil pipeline from Canada to Texas for the oil to be refined and sold abroad. Tony mentioned:
- Monday March 10th: Rally against the Keystone Pipeline at the Federal Court House in Madison. the No KXL Group is looking for some support so come out and support your views on this issue. Email Tony if you would like more information.
Why buy water in a plastic water bottle when you could buy a reusable bottle once- and refill it for free.
- Tomorrow, Tuesday February 25th is the Earth Week Collaboration. At 8:00pm in room 180 of Science Hall. All UW student organizations are collaborating for a fun Earth Week for students! This is a great opportunity to get involved!
- Thursday, February 27th is the Sustainability Forum. The event is from 8:30 until 5:00pm (you do not have to attend the whole event). Sign ups have closed (2/19) and the event will be at the WID in that round center lecture room on the first floor.
- Recyclemania: This is all month long and goes into March. There is an ongoing volunteer opportunity to find recyclables in the outdoor garbage bins around campus. You’ll receive a free shirt and volunteer hours towards Honored Member Status! Please continue (or start) collected waters bottles for Bottle Free Badgers- Aaron will pick them up on March 28th. Please contact Aaron if you have any questions (920-585-660).
Bottle Free Badgers is our campaign to eliminate single use plastic water bottles from being sold at the unions, dining halls and athletic facilities. This semester we will be creating a Bascom Hill display and working with Ohyo water bottle company to promote the use of water fountains on campus. If you are interested in helping out, first sign our petition, then checkout our Facebook page and stop by our weekly meetings. Thank you for your support!
REthinkers! We hope you are staying warm and this semester is going well. We are no longer in Science Hall, but instead found a new great home in Humanities. Our meetings will be on Wednesdays from 7-8 in room 2261 Humanities. Please join us to hear about campaigns such as:
Farm Mob: We’re going to Luna Circle! We’re looking at Saturday the 15th or Sunday the 16th. Please sign up under the “Sign Me Up” tab
Download “Find-A-Fountain” Application, upload 5 pictures, get a water bottle! Easy!
Bottle Free Badgers: Get a free water bottle! How? 1. Download “Find-a-Fountain” App (the one with the map of London in the picture) 2. Upload pictures of water fountains (bubblers) around campus to the map. 3. Post on our Facebook page that you have posted a picture, this way Aaron Conradt can keep track and let Ohyo know how many photos you have uploaded. 3. Upload 5 pictures, get a water bottle!
Also, as always, please sign our petition and let your friends know about the Bottle Free Badger campaign as well!
UW Sustainablility Forum: Climate Change in Wisconsin: Where do we go from here? This event will include speakers and tabling. Thursday February 27th from 8:30am until 5:00pm (lunch provided for those signed up). This even will be in the H.F. DeLuca Forum at WID (circular lecture room on first floor)
Recyclemania: Volunteer this month to help find recyclables in UW’s outdoor trash bins (ever noticed that there aren’t recycling bins on campus outside??). Get a free shirt and volunteer hours! During this event we’ll be saving water bottles for a Bottle Free Badgers Bascom Hill display!
Hey REthinkers! We hope winter break has left you energized and ready to create some nuggets of greenness!
Our Kickoff meeting will not be until after the Org Fair on January 30th from 5-8pm at the Kohl Center. Stay tuned for an Org Fair Volunteer Sign Up.
In the mean time there are other events and projects to get involved in:
Athletics: Our basketball team is doing amazing! One great way to see them for free is to volunteer at the games! Follow this link and bring friends! Remember you get a $10 food voucher.
American Forest and Paper Association: Are you a recycling champion (duh we all are)? The AF & PA is recognizing outstanding recycling efforts, if anyone would like to fill out an application for REthink or an individual that would be awesome. Let’s get some recognition!
Stay Warm! Photo by Jeff Miller, UW Photo Library
Microfinance Leadership Initiative and Fundamentally Sound acapella: UW’s own Fundamentally sound will be singing at a fundraiser for Microfinance Leadership Initiative’s project in Haiti. It is a $5 entry free. Stop by and learn about this great group and listen to some very talented singers. Saturday, January 25th at 6:00pm in the Pres House lounge.
Sustainability Forum 2014: This year’s theme is Climate Change in Wisconsin: Where do we go from here? Stop by to listen to a panel and discussion about climate change and its impact on Wisconsin. February 27th, from 8:30 am -5pm at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery (WID).
Coming this semester: Mugs on the Mall, Continuing our new Greeks go Green campaign, Bottle Free Badgers and of course recycling all over campus as well as your ideas! Grab a friend and come to our Kickoff meeting (TBD) and see what REthink is all about!
Thanksgiving is Thursday and we want to take this opportunity to tell all those REthinkers past and current that we appreciate all the work that you do! Between volunteering at the sporting events and getting different parts of campus on track with their recycling habits we really do make a huge difference! We hope everyone has a safe and relaxing Turkey Day!
Events to remember when we return:
Just Coffee Fundraiser: Please take Thanksgiving to ask family and friends if they would like to order any coffee. We have a great partnership with Just Coffee and this is one of our many successful events! Email the REthink account, firstname.lastname@example.org for an order form and to place your order!
Remember our fundraiser!
Friday December 6th: Energy Hub Conference. This event full of speakers and a free lunch for students is from 8:30am to 5pm (you do not have to come the whole day!) on the 2nd floor of Gordon Commons. Please sign up if you plan on attending.
Trash Audit at Elementary School: This event is not set in stone yet, but we are thinking Friday the 8th from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm to perform a trash audit during the students’ lunch time. Please let us know if you are interested and could make this planned time.
Colin Thompkins Berg An Inconvenient Truth Talk: Colin has been trained on information about global warming and will be speaking on the current issues of global warming since the movie came out over 10 years ago and a lot has happened. It is December 3rd at 7:00 pm in room 180 of Science Hall. We would love for a big REthink showing so please invite your friends!
Green Thoughts: ASM Sustainability has money that could go towards an individual’s idea to improve sustainability here at UW Madison. We know REthink has lots of ideas so brainstorm and come back from break with ideas so we can put them into action. Onethat we could get involved in isRachel Fell’s no more receipt campaign- eliminating unnecessary waste from printed receipts.
Happy Thanksgiving! Stay Green, Eat Turkey!
We’ve got lots of opportunities for people to take a break from studying and volunteer. So let’s jump right into it:
- Athletics: We’ve got Camp Randall AND the Kohl’s Center to take care of now. This year we’re also doing the recycling at the women’s games as well! Pick any game you’d like to sign up for. Bring your friends, you get a $10 food voucher and it counts toward your honored member status.
We love to see the leaves changing with the season.
- Fundraiser for Rainforest: Come to the High Noon Saloon (18+ venue) at 8:00pm on Thursday November 14th. The price to get in is $8 an the money goes towards conservation in the tropical rainforest in Ecuador. There’s also an exotic plant give away. This is also a REthink social event!
- Sustainability Fair: On November 14th in room 159 from 5 to 9pm. We will be hearing from keynote speaker Sabrina Bradshaw from the Office of Sustainability.
- Slow Foods: We need volunteers for Slow Foods Cafe on Wednesday November 13th from 11-2. Great food and an awesome chance to get volunteer hours.
- Social Event!: On Friday November 15th we’ll be heading to the Madison Recycling Facility. Meet in the parking lot behind Science Hall at 2:45. This should be a great trip!
Remember to keep up the great work in school and on your environmental work. We love to hear about those nuggets of greenness, see you at the next meeting!
Our Fall 2013 Mugs on the Mall was a huge success! Thank you to everyone who came out and volunteered and promoted the event! We have plans for Spring 2014 Mugs on the Mall to be bigger and better than ever with a possible reusable coffee mug sale…stay tuned!
Halloween is fast approaching and we have a number of events coming up for REthinkers to get involved in!
Halloween in Madison is the best place to be!
First, Slow Foods is having a whole week of activities starting with a larger than usual Slow Foods dinner on October 21st at the Crossing (1127 University Ave). It’s $5 and then its all you can eat, really good food!, and a discussion panel. Tuesday the 22nd they’re showing a documentary about local food movements at Union South at 7:00pm. Wednesday October 23rd Slow Foods is having their weekly lunch at the Crossing. They’re looking for volunteers- who usually get free food. October 24th Slow Foods is petitioning to try to get Real Foods in the UW dining halls. Stop by Gordon Commons, Great Lakes Market, and Bascom Hill to sign the petition between 12 and 7pm. Finally on Friday October 25th, they’ll be celebrating the end of the harvest season at F.H. Student Farm at the Eagle Heights Community Gardens.
IMPORTANT: Instead of a regular meeting we will be going to an event about fracking in Wisconsin. This event is being hosted by Clean Wisconsin at the Fluno Center on the 8th floor in the Skyview Room from 5-7:00. There’ll be free food and a great speaker! We’ll meet afterward in the lobby to debrief and talk about next week. Please RSVP via “attending” on the Facebook event. Please contact Brady at email@example.com if you have any questions.
It’s that time of year again everyone- our semester Bake Sale! It will be Thursday the 31st- thats right HALLOWEEN from 10pm-2am. We will need people to bake and work at the table. Please sign up on our doodle poll, also if you dont plan on volunteering please sign the doodle by listing what you plan to bring.